Application form and job description are linked below.
The Bristol Cable is shaking up local journalism, reporting on the stories behind the headlines and putting Bristolians in charge of their media. We publish stories that matter to the public not big business, uncovering injustice in our city. We’re committed to amplifying local voices and compelling ideas.
With this in mind we particularly welcome applicants from backgrounds currently under represented in mainstream media.
We publish original stories online and print a free quarterly magazine, with a circulation of 30,000 copies.
We’re after somebody to fill our early career journalism placement and join us for five months in a paid role where you will make original journalism for the Bristol Cable – it could be articles, videos or podcasts, depending on your interests and experience. You will work alongside our small team of journalists to develop your skills, portfolio and networks as part of the Cable, a globally recognised pioneer in new approaches to journalism
No qualifications necessary just good ideas, a track record of journalism (be it on a blog/vlog, student newspaper, radio, journal, trade magazine, newspaper or other), and a strong desire to work in journalism.
If this sounds like you, then apply for our Early Career Journalism Placement:
- You are a creative storyteller who is curious about the world around you.
- You are fascinated by news, current affairs and the state of the world.
- You love meeting people and sharing people’s stories.
- You are committed to local journalism that holds the powerful to account
- You want to tell original and unheard stories about Bristol and its communities
During this five month scheme, you will work alongside our dedicated and supportive media team. This placement will offer you hands-on experience in research, writing and / or publishing multimedia content.
You will also receive some training with the Centre for Investigative Journalism.
- Pitch and produce original stories for the Bristol Cable (in article, podcast or video format)
- Assist with journalism research (e.g.interviewing, attending public meetings, social media and data analysis)
- Participate in editorial meetings
- Meet publishing deadlines
Contact us (details below) if you’d like childcare or similar costs to be covered for your interview or if you require an interview during school hours.
We welcome applications from people with different abilities. We are very keen to hear from you if there’s anything at all we can do to help you apply. We'll make sure interviews take place in a ground floor venue if you request it. Please do contact Alon to discuss anything you might need to access and take part in this process.
Alon, who is managing the recruitment process, can be contacted at email@example.com or on 07533718547.