Below we have a list of archived events, If you wanted a more easy way to view this list then you may want to look at the archive of able co-op related posts.
Archive of old events
- Bristol West General Election Hustings on December 5, 2019 6:00 pm
- Rough State on November 28, 2019 6:30 pm
- 2019 Annual General Meeting on October 14, 2019 6:30 pm
- Chav Solidarity Book Reading on September 9, 2019 6:00 pm
- Members’ Event: Behind the Lopresti Ice-cream Investigation on June 10, 2019 6:30 pm
- Why should you care about privacy? on April 7, 2019 3:30 pm
- Guardian Live in Bristol: Brexit and the media on February 12, 2019 6:30 pm
- The Cable’s Winter Celebration Meal on December 2, 2018 3:00 pm
- A year reporting on drugs // Monthly members’ meeting on November 8, 2018 6:15 pm
- Free digital journalism tools workshop with the CIJ and Bristol Cable on October 30, 2018 6:00 pm
- Help create the Cable’s next campaign // Monthly Members’ Meeting on September 13, 2018 6:00 pm
- Hidden Sex Trade Investigation + July Cable Members’ Meeting on July 2, 2018 6:00 pm
- New Media, New Generation – networking event on June 19, 2018 6:00 pm
- Putin, politics and football – World Cup special with David Goldblatt on June 13, 2018 6:30 pm
- AGM 2018 on May 14, 2018 6:30 pm
- Gary Younge on the power of stories on April 19, 2018 6:30 pm
- Working in the NHS: Bristol Cable Monthly Members’ Meeting on April 9, 2018 6:00 pm
- March Members’ Meeting: Southmead on March 12, 2018 6:30 pm
- Facilitating effective and inclusive group discussion: Free introductory training on March 7, 2018 6:00 pm
- Why do videos of kittens get so many views? A talk on social media and society on March 1, 2018 7:00 pm
- Police surveillance & our rights: a special speaker event on February 20, 2018 5:45 pm
- January 2018 Bristol Cable Members’ Meeting: Tax Dodgers on January 22, 2018 6:00 pm
- Dodgy decisions at Avonmouth port? – December 2017 Bristol Cable Members’ Meeting on December 4, 2017 6:30 pm
- Door Knocking in Avonmouth on November 22, 2017 11:00 am
- Whats Wrong with Drugs? – November 2017 Monthly Members’ Meeting on November 13, 2017 6:30 pm
- Stall at Canfield House on October 26, 2017
- Tobacco Factory Market on October 22, 2017 12:30 pm
- Finzel’s Reach Market on October 20, 2017 12:00 pm
- University of Bristol Stall on October 11, 2017 12:00 pm
- October Members’ Meeting on October 10, 2017 6:00 pm
- Fishponds Farmers’ Market on October 10, 2017 5:30 pm
- Bristol Momentum General Meeting (venue TBC) on October 8, 2017 2:00 pm
- Windmill Hill City Farm Autumn Fair on October 7, 2017 11:00 am
- Anarchist Bookfair (info stall) on September 16, 2017 11:00 am
- Door-knocking in St Werburghs on September 12, 2017 6:00 pm
- Bristol Cable Barnstorm! on September 11, 2017 6:00 pm
- Handing out copies near the Tobacco Factory on September 10, 2017 12:30 pm
- Door-Knocking in Greenbank on September 9, 2017 3:00 pm
- Recovery Festival (info stall) on September 1, 2017 12:00 pm
- Monthly Members’ Meeting – August on August 9, 2017 6:30 pm
- July 2017 Members’ Meeting on July 6, 2017 6:30 pm
- Members Meeting May on May 8, 2017 6:45 pm
- Bristol Cable AGM 2017 – 5th April on April 5, 2017 6:30 pm
- Investigating housing with George Turner on March 27, 2017 6:30 pm
- members meeting on March 6, 2017 6:45 pm
- Half Way screening + director Q&A on February 23, 2017 7:00 pm
- Members Meeting + ‘Our journalism’ discussion on February 6, 2017 6:45 pm
- Monthly Members’ Meeting on January 16, 2017 6:45 pm
- Open Contributors’ Night on December 7, 2016 6:00 pm
- Who Cares about Care? on December 3, 2016 1:30 pm
- Poetic Pilgrimage: The Hip Hop Hijabis on November 25, 2016 9:00 pm
- Open Contributors’ Night on November 2, 2016 6:00 pm
- Bristol Cable’s 2nd Birthday Celebration! on October 29, 2016 4:00 pm
- A history of Print Press’ decline – ‘Banging out’ film & panel on October 6, 2016 7:00 pm
- Open Contributors’ Night on October 5, 2016 6:00 pm
- Reporting from the from the Jungle, Calais on October 1, 2016 1:00 pm
- Open Contributors’ Night on September 7, 2016 6:00 pm
- Open Contributors’ Night on August 3, 2016 6:00 pm
- Monthly Members’ Meeting on August 1, 2016 6:30 pm
- 8th Edition Launch Party on July 16, 2016 7:30 pm
- Open Contributors’ Night on July 6, 2016 6:00 pm
- ‘Why we need democratic media’ with Dan Hind on May 12, 2016 6:30 pm
- 7th Edition launch party on April 16, 2016 7:30 pm
- Basics of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) on April 13, 2016 6:00 pm
- Members Meeting on April 11, 2016 7:00 pm
- 7th EDITION OUT on April 6, 2016
- An evening with Ken Loach & screening of Jimmy’s Hall on March 17, 2016 6:00 pm
- Fundraiser and 6th edition Launch! on January 23, 2016 7:30 pm
- Monthly Members’ Meeting – Edition 6 on January 18, 2016 6:30 pm
- Film screening: Cartel Land (2015) on December 17, 2015 7:30 pm
- Free writing workshop! on November 5, 2015 7:00 pm
- Graph Databases For Investigations using Neo4J on October 22, 2015 10:00 am
- Film and director Q & A: ‘On the side of the road’ on September 16, 2015 7:30 pm
- Data visualisation and Interactive Graphics with Tableau Public on August 25, 2015 6:00 pm
- Member’s workshop with Corporate Watch: How to investigate companies effectively on July 7, 2015 5:30 pm
- Film Screening; The Fourth Estate and Directors Q&A on June 16, 2015 7:30 pm
- Website – Get involved on June 9, 2015 3:00 pm
- Membership and events group on May 28, 2015 7:00 pm
- FREE members film screening: 12 O’Clock Boys on May 27, 2015 8:00 pm
- Finance meeting on May 20, 2015 7:00 pm
- Membership meeting on May 14, 2015 7:00 pm
- Finance group on May 6, 2015 7:00 pm
- The Coop Board on April 30, 2015 7:00 pm
- Finance and funding group on April 22, 2015 7:00 pm
- Get Heard Bristol West – An election event with a difference on April 20, 2015 7:00 pm
- 3rd edition party on April 18, 2015 7:00 pm
- Members and Events Group on April 16, 2015 7:00 pm
- Events and Membership Working Group on April 16, 2015 7:00 pm
- Issue 3: Spread the Cables! on April 14, 2015 5:30 pm
- 3rd Edition – Election Special on April 13, 2015 12:00 am
- Photography and ethics – workshop on March 17, 2015 6:00 pm
- Citizen Journalism Workshops on March 7, 2015 10:00 am
- The first Annual Member’s Meeting of The Bristol Cable ! on March 5, 2015 7:00 pm
The following events were ported over from our old website.
The first Annual Member’s Meeting of The Bristol Cable !
Lets build real media for the city together:
– Decide on key issues of strategy,
– Elect directors
– Choose topics
– Set priorities for the co-ops activities and events.
See you there!
Thursday 5th March
35 Jamaica Street, Stokes Croft, Bristol, BS2 8JP
Co-op members only. Join the Cable from just £1 per month here!
No Gates in Stokes Croft! An Alternative to Corporate Gentrification, with Anna Minton
Presented by PRSC and co-hosted by The Bristol Cable:
Stokes Croft is facing the imminent prospect of a gated community with the planned redevelopment of the Carriageworks, with next to no affordable housing and rocketing rents for everyone.
Anna Minton, journalist and author, will be discussing the ways in which corporate property developers wrangle out of providing affordable housing, privatise public space, stuff our cities with boring corporates and increase social division.
Most importantly we will be discussing what alternatives there are to corporate gentrification, what we can do about it and how we can build our cities for people not profit!
Anna Minton is a writer and journalist and Visiting Professor at the University of East London (UEL). She spent a decade in journalism, including a stint as a corporate reporter on the Financial Times. Finding daily journalism frustrating she began to focus on longer projects for think tanks and policy organizations and is the author of numerous papers and reports, including the Joseph Rowntree Foundation’s Viewpoint on fear and distrust. In 2013, she became a Reader in Architecture at UEL. Between 2012-2014 she has been the 1851 Royal Commission’s Fellow in the Built Environment.
****NB: Time and Location has been changed****
Tuesday 24th February
City Road Baptist Church – BS1 3 Bristol, United Kingdom
First come first serve!
Free – Donations welcome!
Facebook group here.
Distribute the 2nd Cables!
“Read all about it! The Great Big Bristol Cable Distro!”
The Bristol Cable is hitting the streets again – but only with your help.
Hot off the press and all volunteer produced, now it is your chance to be part of the Cable crew spreading the word round town.
Everyone welcome to join us at any, or all, of these locations for an hour or so with a friendly bunch of people >>>
Join the Facebook group, let us know or just turn up on the day!
Saturday 14th: Meet at Cable office, PRSC new building Jamaica St, Stokes Croft at 12 noon
Monday 16th: Meet at Bearpit at 5pm
Wednesday 18th: Meet at Prince Street bridge (by the Arnolfini) at 5pm
Saturday 21st: Meet at Cable office 12 noon
Tuesday 24th: Bristol Temple Meads at 5pm
Thursday 26th: Meet at Bearpit at 5pm
Sessions from 10am to 5pm on both days.
Chapel in the Garden,
Citizen Journalism Workshops
As part of a collaboration with Stir Magazine, The Bristol Cable Co-op features in the Stir to Action Workshop Series to facilitate a week end of workshops on how to create a local platform for citizen journalists.
Using participative methods these sessions will include:
– a look at the state and dynamics of change facing local media,
– providing an insight into the strategies and challenges of setting up a media co-operative,
– exploring the dilemmas of the editorial process and
– producing a story/presenting information using a range of multimedia techniques.
Get a 10% discount off the £75 as a Bristol Cable reader by quoting ‘Bristol Cable’ when making your booking.
Friday 13th February, 7 – 9pm
@ The Bristol Cable, 35 Jamaica Street, Bristol, BS2 8JP (corner of Hillgrove Street).
Bristol Cable: Second Edition Launch
Join us for a celebration of all the work & creativity that has gone into bringing you the second edition of The Bristol Cable – and get your hands on a new copy hot off the press!
We will be having a get together at The Bristol Cable office with food and drinks on Friday 13th February. Please drop in between 7pm and 9pm to check it out and meet those involved.
Members and everyone else welcome. We look forward to seeing you there.
Wednesday 17th December, 7 – 9pm
@ New PRSC building, corner of Hillgrove and Jamaica Street, Stokes Croft, Bristol.
Get the facts: Freedom of Information Workshop
Good reporting is based on facts, but these are often hard to come by.
Simply phoning the council for information can be like banging your head against a brick wall. But in this 2 hour practical workshop you will learn how to use the Freedom of Information Act to obtain information from public authorities including government departments, local authorities, the NHS, state schools and police forces.
Phil Chamberlain, a freelance journalist with 20 years experience and a head of department at Bristol School of Film and Journalism (UWE), will demonstrate how to navigate FOI, including how to avoid having your request turned down, how to make appeals, using environmental regulations and submitting data protection requests for personal information.
This is the first in an ongoing series of Bristol Cable public workshops providing training in citizen journalism to the local community. We want to give people the skills to be informed and engaged with the issues that affect them.
Suggested donation £2, free for members.
Open Meeting- Tuesday 18th November 6.30pm
The Bristol Cable is hosting an open session for people wanting to get involved on Tuesday the 18th of November at our office on the corner of Hillgrove and Jamaica Street.
This will be a chance to learn about The Bristol Cable’s history and ongoing activities, meet members (and become one!), share your ideas, and get active in The Cable.
Make sure you come down if you’re interested in getting involved with The Cable in any of the following:
Content production (film, writing, photo/ illustration/ podcast), website, print layout, co-operative development, proof reading, research, finance, events organising, workshops, admin, social media, grant applications, distribution and much much more!
This meeting is open to members and non-members alike. For just £1 a month consider owning and supporting your local media as a member of The Bristol Cable.
Friday 24th October, 6pm
@ Cafe Kino, Stokes Croft, Bristol.
Come down to Cafe Kino this Friday. We will be showing the illustrations of the artists of the first edition. It will also be an opportunity to get involved in The Cable.
Come and have a flick through the first issue of The Bristol Cable downstairs, meet some of the makers and contributors, and see some of the brilliant illustrations up on the walls.
Throughout May and June 2014 The Bristol Cable put on its first series of free and open workshops. With over 300 participants the 12 sessions were a huge success. A huge thank you to our facilitators and everyone who came along!
Our next session will be on the 1st July at The Silai Centre in Easton, 7pm. Come down and contribute to developing content ideas making the first edition happen! If you would like to get involved send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
|11th May||Smart-Phone Journalism; With Glenn Mcmahon; Freelance community journalist and workshop facilitator and contributor to The Guardian, The Independent, The Justice Gap and The Huffington Post|
|15th May||Using Social Media For Citizen Journalism With Jon Henley; Sourcing and telling stories in fresh and different ways’, with Guardian feature writer and masterclass facilitator|
|17th May||Getting The ‘scoop’ On Your Local Government With Paul Francis; Award winning journalist, weekly newspaper reporter of the year in the national Regional Press Awards in 2011. He has written for The Guardian, Sunday Times and Kent Media Group amongst others.|
|19th May||Basics Of WordPress With Mat A; The Bristol Cable’s in-house website developer.|
|21st May||Spoken Word As Media With Rebecca Tantony; Writer and award winning local spoken word artist and poet.|
|23rd May||The Challenge Of Citizen Journalism And Screening of ‘Secret City’; With Lee Salter, award winning documentary producer and University of Sussex lecturer|
|24th May||Reporting On The Police;with Glenn Mcmahon; From stop and search to Freedom of Information n|
|24th May||Low Budget Filmmaking + Screening Of ‘Riot From Wrong’; Low budget film making and Q& A with pioneering youth film group, Fully Focused Productions|
|25th May||Journalism With Integrity; media law and ethics’, With veteran journalist and trade unionist Mike Jempson, Director of Mediawise and senior journalism lecturer at UWE|
|31st May||Intro To Reporting & Writing News With Ann Luce; Experienced facilitator and journalist, and lecturer in Journalism and Communication at Bournemouth Uni|
|7th June||Phone Photography With Arvind Howarth; Bristol Cable member and UWE media instructor.|
|14th June||Where Next For The Bristol Cable?: Words And Music; Hear from and meet participants and members, enjoy some local acts and discuss where next for The Bristol Cable, a people’s media for our city. Child friendly!|