Migrant-led Somali Cookery Class with Migrateful
More details: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/somali-cookery-class-with-obah-family-style-bristol-tickets-623647304877
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Beef Squaar (Beef Stew) | Meat (Beef); Celery, may contain Sulphites
- Vegetable Squaar (Vegetable Stew) | Vegan; Celery
- Barissie Iskudaskars(Seasoned Rice) | Vegan; Gluten
- Shidni (Spicey Chutney) | Vegetarian; Milk
- Kebase (Somalian Chapatti) | Vegetarian; Gluten, Milk, Egg
This menu caters to both vegans and those who eat meat (beef). Allergens include: milk, eggs, gluten, celery.
A message from our Chef Obah:
“Hello, my name is Obah. I am from Somalia but was born and grew up in Kuwait. I never cooked when I was young, as my mum never had time to teach us. I learnt to cook when I got married to my husband 23 years ago, starting with Kabes (Somalian chapatti). It didn’t turn out perfect the first time, but I was determined to do it again and from there I just learnt through practicing. I really enjoy learning about new food from different cultures, and mixing them together!.”
Migrateful is an award-winning charity which supports asylum-seekers, refugee & migrants in their journey to integration & employment. We do this by preparing them to lead cookery classes where they teach their traditional cuisine, culture & stories.