Help us keep the lights on Support us
The Bristol Cable

Council face barricades and fail to evict Avonmouth protesters

City

Occupiers of 44 Avonmouth Terrace are still in situ, as council eviction order expires.

Photo: Steve Norman

In further developments of a long running story, at 5am Tuesday morning, council-employed bailiffs joined with police officers to try to remove the housing rights protesters, seeking to block the controversial sale by private auction of council homes claim.

However the enforcement officers could not gain entry into the building, which had been reinforced from within by the protesters who were determined not to get evicted.

After a court hearing last week, the council was granted the right to serve a possession order on the property – giving them the right to forcefully remove occupants and regain control of the property. The possession order expires at midnight tonight, meaning the council will have to revisit its approach.

The house is a council property that was sold by the council at April’s controversial auction. Even before the auction took place, protesters had occupied the property – the first being ex-military Anthony Palmer and his son, who were living in homeless accommodation.

In the last week, Palmer was informed he had been moved up the housing list and was considered Band 1 priority, and was then offered a home in Withywood. Campaigners have claimed the development as a victory, but are stating that they will not leave the property until they receive confirmation from the council that the building will not be sold to a private buyer.

Given the new administration has been sworn in under Mayor Marvin Rees – who stated during his election campaign that he would not sell any further council homes – the campaigners may find their demands met. Protestor Steve Norman told the Cable that “we need assurances that the house will not be re-sold if the sale collapses. Once we’ve had these assurances, they can have the house back.”

The council for their part are staying non-committal, telling the Cable, “We are in the process of reviewing the situation at the property and have no further comment to make at this time.”

Keep the Lights On

Investigative journalism strengthens democracy – it’s a necessity, not a luxury.

The Cable is Bristol’s independent, investigative newsroom. Owned and steered by more than 2,600 members, we produce award-winning journalism that digs deep into what’s happening in Bristol.

We are on a mission to become sustainable – will you help us get there?

Join now

What makes us different?

Comments

Report a comment. Comments are moderated according to our Comment Policy.

Post a comment

Mark if this comment is from the author of the article

By posting a comment you agree to our Comment Policy.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related content

Listen: Bristol Unpacked with Green councillor Ani Townsend on art, inequality and the case for a universal basic income

Should the state give people free money? This week Ani and Neil discuss how a universal basic income would work, why supporting the arts is a class issue, and whether ‘eco-populist’ Green leader Zack Polanski can take on the traditional parties – and Reform.

Surveillance isn’t safeguarding: Think Family and the fight for transparency

Bristol City Council says its mass data gathering tool is designed to protect, not profile the 55,000 families it monitors. But is it pushing school children into the criminal justice system?

The destructive juggernaut of Black Friday reminds us why we should resist the advertising industry

Co-founder of Adblock Bristol, Robbie Gillett, reminds us of the true cost behind Amazon’s Black Friday, and how advertising shits in your head

‘Crying out for radical change’: Bristol’s new Green councillor on defecting from Labour

We sit down with British-Palestinian councillor for Frome Vale, Alsayed Al-Magrabi, to discuss his his journey into politics, and his defection to the Greens

Bristol council paying huge sums of money to rent homes from banned landlord

Back in 2022, Bristol City Council obtained a five-year court order barring landlord Naomi Knapp from renting out her homes. Now, it’s spending hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money to use her properties as emergency accommodation.

East Bristol Liveable Neighbourhood: Good intentions aren’t enough

Real climate justice isn’t about green mobility zones or bike lanes—it’s about dignity, equity, and solidarity.

Join our newsletter

Get the essential stories you won’t find anywhere else

Subscribe to the Cable newsletter to get our weekly round-up direct to your inbox every Saturday

Join our newsletter

Subscribe to the Cable newsletter

Get our latest stories & essential Bristol news
sent to your inbox every Saturday morning