Community and Events Organiser
Background to the role
The Bristol Cable is an internationally recognised pioneer in building a new model for journalism. We – 2000 members (and growing) – are changing what local media looks like: in what we produce, how it’s produced, and who owns it.
We’re looking for a Community and Events Organiser to continue to build on the Cable’s unique approach to journalism owned and rooted in the community. In this role you will be getting out and building our relationships across Bristol, and deepening and expanding opportunities for members to be involved.
You will be organising informative and empowering community meetings in collaboration with community members, democratically engaging our membership in driving the Cable forward, and pulling off big public events including socials such as edition launch gigs, member celebration meals, and high profile speakers.
You will be focused on creating great conversations with members and other communities and inviting them to get involved.
You will also be communicating our work to a wide audience, so that we can share their value widely.
As a member of a highly collaborative team, you will get involved in the general development of the organisation, and, as part of the membership team, have a crucial role in helping define and deliver our membership strategy. You will also have the opportunity to attend trainings and conferences to build your experience and to represent the Cable.
Alongside the necessary skills, you will have an strong commitment to the Cable’s values of amplifying voices underrepresented in the media and challenging power, and have a highly motivated and energised approach to taking on tasks, working as a team to solve problems, and putting the public at the heart of public interest journalism.
1) Community and member events
Events are a key way for us to engage with people. Through member-focused and community events we can build meaningful relationships and involvement in the Cable.
- Lead the planning and delivery of all aspects of monthly members’ meetings.
- Lead the development and coordination of new projects which invite Cable and other community members to join us in person to scrutinise and be involved in our journalism.
- With the support of the team, plan and deliver a large public event at least every three months. These events will be relevant and valuable to communities we’re looking to connect with, including communities based around a common interest, geographically-based communities, and our members.
- Coordinate the Cable’s Annual General Meeting.
- Our biggest member democracy event of the year, with at least 100 members participating in discussions and voting to help guide the Cable’s future.
- See here for more detail on Cable AGMs
- Work closely with the Community Media Coordinator to create opportunities and pipelines for member and community involvement in creating journalism with the Bristol Cable.
- Wherever possible, involve members in meaningful ways with the aim to develop co-leaders and organisers.
- Assist in the development and coordinate the delivery and evaluation of the Cable’s in-person engagement strategy.
- This will be in line with wider membership team objectives as developed with the membership team.
2) Communicating with members and the wider community
Effective communications are essential to keeping members informed, inviting participation, and publicising the Cable’s activities.
- Produce a fortnightly members’ newsletter in liaison with other team members.
- Develop engaging and innovative ways to communicate with members and the wider public, for example blogs and vlogs detailing our work.
- Source and develop opportunities to raise the Cable’s profile, communicate about our work, and invite people join us at events and as members.
- Be a crucial feedback channel, seeking to understand how we can better serve members and communities, and bringing those understandings back to the team.
3) Cooperative role responsibilities
Along with your role specific-responsibilities you will also contribute to general cooperative activities. This includes the ability to make proposals and initiate projects.
- Contribute to the coordination of the Bristol Cable organisation by participating in co-operative and coordinator meetings and processes.
- Engage in the co-operative’s peer-to-peer work review scheme
- Be familiar with and work in support of the vision, missions, goals, values and policies of the Bristol Cable
- Adhere to the Cable’s policies and protocols, including amongst all others health and safety, data protection, safeguarding and confidentiality
- Work with other co-ordinators and members of the Bristol Cable to develop activities where relevant
- Encourage individuals to join the Bristol Cable co-operative.
You can also download the role brief here [pdf].
- Experience in organising events including logistics, promotion, hosting and budgeting
- Self-motivated and able to take the initiative to turn ideas into reality
- Diligent and punctual
- Experience organising events with participatory or interactive elements
Communicating and building relationships
- Confident and effective communicator, online and offline, including public meetings
- Able to encourage participation of individuals in conversations and activities
- Experience of building relationships and working with a wide range of people and stakeholders to deliver shared aims
- Experience as a community organiser, voluntary or paid
- Experience of producing promotional copy and materials
- Knowledge of communities and networks in Bristol
- An understanding of the need to build an alternative model for the media, and a passion to engage the communities it serves.
You can also download the person specification here [pdf].
Title: Community and Events Organiser
Salary: £8.75 per hour (Please note: all Cable coordinators are paid at the same rate)
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: 30 hrs per week (Including occasional weekends and evenings)
Location: The Bristol Cable, 14 Hillgrove Street, Bristol, BS2 8JT
The Bristol Cable is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
You can read our full Equality and Diversity Statement here [pdf].
- 20th July: Applications open
- 20th August, 11pm: Applications close
- 24th August: Selected applicants invited to an interview at the Cable office
- Late August/early September: Interviews